Saturday, July 18, 2009

Inspirations: Tarot for Writers

I mentioned here that I use the Deviant Moon tarot deck for inspiration when writing stories. I also mentioned a book titled Tarot for Writers that was on my wish list.

I did recently pick it up and though I still have no desire to start telling fortunes, I am finding it fascinating reading. It does veer into the spiritual here and there, but for the most part it's a straightforward explanation of what each card traditionally means and includes a detailed description of the incredible amount of symbolism present in each card's rendering. There are short suggestions on things to write about based on each card, and they're not necessarily obvious and trivial.

There's also several sections on various other ways to use the deck to kick-start your creativity, from character generation to plotting.

All in all, it's well worth the money, even if you only write for fun or for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment