First step was to order the paper. Ten sheets of masa from Dick Blick for a very reasonable price, and I was surprised to find that each sheet was 22"x30"! Woo hoo! I have enough to do some serious play.
The idea here is to use the natural fiberous nature of the paper to do some abstract work. For this first one I crumpled the paper (about 5"x7") and soaked it in water. Then I dropped in some ink (Noodler's Red-Black) which feathered nicely. While the paper was still wet I touched some watercolor pigments onto the paper. At the end, I decided that I liked it best standing up on end.
Next up, same basic idea, but I used a few different tools to make marks. Again, ink and watercolor, but this time I added some spatters of irridescent medium to the page.
On the next three, I did the crumple and soak to the paper, but then added some origami-style folding (cone and fan folds) before dropping in - yep, more ink and watercolor.
I picked up some india ink, to see what would happen if I used permanent, waterproof ink to start with. We'll see what happens.